Deborah Kahan Competition
CONNECTICUT STATE MUSIC TEACHERS ASSOCIATION
January 14th - Application deadline(must be received by this date)
February 5th Sunday-Competition date, Time TBA
Suzuki Music School of Westport
(246 Post Road East, Lower Level, entering 19 Imperial Avenue)
February 12th Sunday at 3pm–Winner’s circle online concert
Piano, violin, viola, cello, double bass, guitar; soloists, duos, or any combination of piano and strings. Students must be between the age of 6 and 18.
Two contrasting pieces in period and style in Classic standard repertoire. Arrangements, transcriptions, abridgements, simplified versions, hymns, and popular folk songs are not permitted.
Length, Time Limit
Age 6-7 6 minutes
8-9 7 minutes
10-11 8 minutes
12-13 9 minutes
14-15 10 minutes
If an entrant’s repertoire exceeds the time limit, the judge will stop the performance without any penalty when the limit has been reached.
One teacher may enter up to 6 students. Applications are not accepted from parents. Applications should include the following:
1. Completed application forms (teacher's name, address, phone, email address, student’s name, age, birth date, piece title, composer’s name with first initial, duration of each piece)
2. Proof of birth (a copy of passport or birth certificate)
3. Non Refundable fees (one check, written by the teacher, paid to CSMTA Fairfield Chapter)
4. Signed form of photograph release by parent (included in the pdf at the bottom of these guidelines)
Kumiko Imamura, 20 West Main Street C104, Norwalk, CT 06861
CSMTAFC members... $50 per student.
Non members ….$60 per student, plus additional teacher entrance fee $60
Payable to CSMTA Fairfield chapter. Fees are not refundable.
1. Teachers will be informed a week before the competition date of the exact audition time for each student.
2. The format is that of a private audition. Because of everyone’s safety, we suggest only one parent, who is asked to wait at the building’s entrance hall.
3. Each student will have a minute to try out the piano before their division begins. The tryout will be supervised by an assigned supervising member; teachers will not be allowed to be present. There will be no exceptions to this rule.
4. The student must supply for the judges either one hard copy of an original score, or a computer- generated one from a source such as Ismlp, Carl Fischer CD, PianoStreet. com, Werner Icking Music Archives, Musicalion.
4. Winners are determined by the judges, and are invited to perform one selection chosen by the judges at the Winners Circle Concert to be held online on February 6th at 3pm.
5. Judges’ decision is final.
6. For the sake of safety, each live performance this year will be professionally recorded at the competition by a third party. These videos will be used for later broadcast in the Winners’ Recital, in lieu of an in-person concert. They will not be shared individually.
7. Mask wearing is recommended.
Please write to email@example.com, if you have questions