Deborah Kahan Competition
CONNECTICUT STATE MUSIC TEACHERS ASSOCIATION
35th DEBORAH KAHAN COMPETITION
Saturday, January 25th, 2020
First Congregational Church of Darien
14 Brookside Rd.
Darien, CT 06820
The Deborah Kahan Competition, previously known simply as our Winter Competition, is sponsored by the CSMTA Fairfield Chapter, and there are two divisions: Piano and Strings.
Ages 6-18, all solo players of piano or strings (violin, viola, cello, double bass, guitar), as well as duos and ensembles of any combination of piano and strings.
Two original pieces of contrasting period and style from standard Classical repertoire
Arrangements, transcriptions, abridgments, simplified versions, hymns, and popular folk songs are not permitted.
Age 6-7 6 minutes
8-9 7 minutes
10-11 8 minutes
13-15 9 minutes
16-18 10 minutes
When entrants' repertoire exceeds the time limit, judges may stop the performance, but without penalty to the student.
Each teacher may enter up to 6 students. Applications from parents are not accepted. Please include:
1. Completed application form
2. Proof of age (copy of passport or birth certificate)
3. Fee (one single collective check for all of one’s students)
4. Signed form of photograph release by parent
Kumiko Imamura, 20 West Main Street C104, Norwalk, CT 06861
January 2, 2020 (post-marked)
CSMTAFC members: $40 per student.
Non members: $50 per student, plus additional teacher entrance fee of $60
Checks should be made payable to CSMTA Fairfield chapter.
Fees are non-refundable.
1. Teachers will receive exact audition times a week before the competition, and should pass that information on to their students.
2. The format is that of a private audition. In order to facilitate the audition procedure in a limited space, we suggest that only one parent accompany each participant.
3. Supply original or computer-generated music (Imslp, Carl Fischer CD, PianoStreet. com, Werner Icking Music Archives, Musicalion) to judges.
4. Winners are determined by the judges, and invited to perform one selection chosen by the judges at the Winners Circle Concert on February 2nd that will be held at Suzuki Music School of Westport.
5. Judges’ decision is final.