Deborah Kahan Competition
CONNECTICUT STATE MUSIC TEACHERS ASSOCIATION
35th DEBORAH KAHAN COMPETITION
Saturday January 25th 2020
First Congregational Church of Darien
Piano, violin, viola, cello, double bass, guitar; soloists, duos, or any combination of piano and strings. Students must be between the age of 6 and 18.
Two contrasting pieces in period and style from standard Classical repertoire.
Arrangements, transcriptions, abridgements, simplified versions, hymns, and popular folk songs are not permitted.
Length, Time Limit
Age 6-7 6 minutes
8-9 7 minutes
10-11 8 minutes
13-15 9 minutes
16-18 10 minutes
If an entrant’s repertoire exceeds the time limit, the judge will stop the performance without any penalty when the limit has been reached.
One teacher may enter up to 6 students. Applications are not accepted from parents. Applications should include the following:
1. A completed application form (in downloadable pdf format at the bottom of this page)
2. Proof of birth (a copy of passport or birth certificate)
3. Fees (one check should be written by the teacher to cover all his/her students)
4. Signed form of photograph release by parent (included in the pdf at the bottom of these guidelines)
Kumiko Imamura, 20 West Main Street C104, Norwalk, CT 06861
January 2nd (post marked)
CSMTAFC members... $40 per student.
Non members ….$50 per student, plus additional teacher entrance fee $60
Payable to CSMTA Fairfield Chapter.
Fees are not refundable.
1. Teachers will be informed a week before the competition date of the exact audition time for each student.
2. The format is that of a private audition. Because of limited space, we suggest that only one parent accompany each participant to the event.
3. Each student will have a minute to try out the piano before their division begins. The tryout will be supervised by an assigned supervising member; teachers will not be allowed to be present. There will be no exceptions to this rule.
4. The student must supply for the judges either one hard copy of an original score, or a computer- generated one from a source such as Ismlp, Carl Fischer CD, PianoStreet. com, Werner Icking Music Archives, Musicalion.
5. Winners are determined by the judges, and are invited to perform one selection chosen by the judges at the Winners Circle Concert to be held on February 2nd at First Congregational Church of Darien,
6. Judges’ decision is final.
Please ask any questions to , or email@example.com